Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Resumen de Mayo

Arriving back in Chimbote on the 28th of April, I found it good to be home, and the month back has been a busy and exciting one, even as I am in some sense preparing mentally and practically for the moment when I will leave. Some highlights…

MOTHERS DAY
Celebration of Mothers´ Day, which falls on the same date as in the US, is even bigger – or at least a more public – celebration here. Most schools put on shows, in which youth act/dance/sing in honor of their moms. The parish is no exception: JUMIFRA was in the midst of organizing the parish Mothers´ Day celebration when I returned, each parish group being asked to perform one or two artistic numbers on Saturday, May 9. Members of JUMIFRA took charge of organizing the food that would be served, buying and putting up decorations, and hosting in general. Quite a success apart from the fact that we actually had too many numbers and a couple groups didn´t get to perform their second acts. A sampling: a song by one of the youth choirs, a couple songs by a an older gentleman who is a member of the adult choir, a solo by Father Raúl, a couple songs sung by a pair of sisters from last year´s Confirmation, Confirmation group 2008 did a choreographed dance, the new parish theater group (of which I am a part) did a short play, the Franciscan postulants also did a short skit, a boy and girl 8-9 years old danced marinera (a popular dance of northern Peru), two youth from one choir performed a song with guitar, and a rock band of parish young adults played a few songs to close the evening (see cell phone video at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyVOOvwPK8E ). Afterward, we gathered with a dozen friends to celebrate Alex´s (friend and JUMIFRA coordinator) birthday on our back patio.

THEATER GROUP
As mentioned above, a new theater/acting group has formed in the parish, the project of Juan and César from JUMIFRA and directed by Sister Katty, a 26-year-old Incarnate Word Sister who has background and interest in acting. All ages are welcome, and we have participants from 10 to 50-something in the group. During our weekly meetings on Sunday mornings from 10:00-12:00 in the morning, we do excercises in corporal expression and vocalization in addition to rehearsal for upcoming presentations, such as the Mothers Day play and a music-based mime that we will present at this Saturday´s all-night Pentecost Vigil in the parish (also a project of JUMIFRA along with the charismatic renewal group of the parish). I have fun with the group members, and it helps me with my Spanish as well.

CONFIRMATION 2009
We´re up and running with the Confirmation program for 2009, this past weekend being our fourth gathering. Leaders (we are called animadores here, literally ´animators´ or ´encouragers´) are myself, Yuri, my housemate Courtney, Alex, and Consuelo – a 17-year-old from last year´s group. Our meetings are Saturday evenings 7-9 pm and we divide the group of 40 into two – Consuelo and I have one, Alex and Courtney the other, and Yuri as the coordinator goes back and forth. On Sundays we gather for a few games and short discussion on Sunday evening before going into Mass together at 7:30 (I go a bit early to sing with the choir). I really enjoy the experience of accompanying the youth, many of whom have little experience of participation in the church. We had hoped to do more of a concerted invitation campaign that included visiting in the various parish neighborhoods, but to reach that level of coordination will have to wait until next year, just too many other time demands. I won´t finish with this group, since the sacrament is given at the end of November, and I feel it will be difficult to part – especially since this year I have more responsibility as a co-leader and not just helping out.

YOUTH CENTER PROJECT
I have mentioned previously in this space our hopes for a form of youth education/gathering center, and I am excited that in these weeks the hope has taken steps toward realization. Across the alley for the parish a large house, in good condition, has come up for rent, and with Alex (JUMIFRA coordinator) I put together a proposal to rent the house for use by the young people of the parish. Next came presentation of the idea to the parish priests and the Incarnate Word Sisters (Sister Juanita has had this idea since my arrival here), visits to see the house and converse with the owners, and an exploratory appeal to friends and family for funding support. As of last night, May 25, we agreed to rent the house and now it remains finalize the form of the contract, gather the money to start, and tackle the process of making a few small repairs/improvements and furnishing the space for use as a social and education center specifically for young people. For those who are interested in more information or possibly in financially supporting the project, I have posted the draft proposal in the entry below and you can contact me at tschmidt19ARRhotmail.com for more details. A joint committee of one parish priest, one of the sisters, on of the Incarnate Word Missionaries, and one representative of JUMIFRA will oversee the youth center project and finances. The generous individual promises of donations thus basically covers the monthly expenses for a year, and we are now seeking both local and outside help to gather furnishings and materials. For long-term funding, several supporters are searching out grants that would be able to keep the project going after the first year. We haven´t made public the project here beyond a small circle, but I am excited to see what might come from this endeavor.

Relatedly, we have recently learned who will be joining our IWM community here when I leave – Marcelle, who currently works as a nurse in the US and will continue in that line of work here, and Jenn, who is a new graduate from St. Louis University with a theology/international studies major with minors in Spanish and Woman´s Studies. Jenn´s primary work will be at the parish, and I am excited that a new Incarnate Word Missionary will be coming to continue the work we have begun in these two years. Helping coordinate youth center programs could be a part of her ministry here, if all goes well.

EVERYDAY LIFE
In addition to the new projects and groups described above, existing activities and programs have continued and/or re-started in May. I continue to sing with my choir, rehearsing on Friday and Saturday nights from 9:30-11:00 pm. We have been purely a men´s choir for about three months now, as the several girls who were participated have stepped back for various reasons. Aside from occasional frustration with fluctuating commitment of the members, I really enjoy the singing and camaraderie of the group. I also continue practicing music on my own, almost-daily personal practice of guitar and quena (flute), and Roger comes Wednesday and Friday afternoons to teach guitar to Courtney and I. I recently have borrowed a charango (miniature guitar-type instrument) and Roger has given me some pointers to get started with. English classes started again the first week in May, and though numbers are down compared to the summer cycle, we have about 25 students attending weekly in four groups, two nights each. I teach with one of the girls Monday to Thursday evenings (we each take one group) and Fridays we open the house 7-9 for conversation practice, to which 10-15 students come to practice their speaking and listening skills. As I have role of planning the classes and coordinating the course, there is some concern among the students about what will happen when I leave – my hope is the new group of missionaries will be able to continue to offer courses so that those who have begun can keep advancing in their studies. As I also mentioned above, I began dating Susan in January, and most days we find some time together, although usually in the afternoons as my nights are booked and women here aren´t don´t enjoy, as do many of our male friends, the freedom of staying out late very often. Two or three times (such as last Friday) we have joined Jane, Courtney, and Julie with other friends to go out dancing (she, as many Peruvians, loves to dance and says I´m getting a little better). I run four mornings a week, walking downtown the other days to save my knees a bit. Also in the mornings, I write in my journal and read a few pages out loud in Spanish to work on vocabulary and pronunciation. I find an hour or two here and there in the mornings to work on ministry projects/communication and to keep in touch with family via the internet, and I shop/cook on Fridays and Saturdays. Most afternoons will find me at the dining table planning for evening English classes, making a copy run downtown, and when I can I lay down for a short siesta.

Thanks for tuning in again, and I wish you a blessed week!

2 comments:

Mom said...

Hola Todd,
I was so happy to find your new blog. It's so good to hear the details of your busy and productive life. I admire all your musical endeavors and am jealous that you are in a choir! I look forward to you and Dad playing and singing together when you come home:)
I will talk to you tomorrow on the phone.
Love you so much,
Mom

URGENT LOAN OFFER WHATSAPP +918929509036 said...

DO YOU NEED FINANCIAL HELP? 5000$ to 100,000,000.00$
No credit check
Repaid over 1 year to maximum of 25 years at a low interest rate of 3%.
Approval in 15-30 minutes
Open 7 days a week from 24/7
Service available nationwide
E-MAIL - urgentloan22@gmail.com