Thursday, November 13, 2008

Peruvian youth: What do you like/dislike about Peru?

As I mentioned in my previous entry, I asked Confirmation youth (14-18 years old) to answer a few questions about themselves in order to begin an interchange with Confirmation youth from my former parish in Corvallis, Oregon. Below I share their responses to a couple of the questions:

What do you like about your country?
I haven´t visited every part, but it´s a country very rich in natural resources, architecture, its people.

Well, almost nothing.

That we have many riches to share and our people.

The traditional food, the groups of people and dancing

It`s people, customs, cities like Mancora, Lima, etc.

I like the customs.

I like the archeological sites

I like all things we grow here and our cultures.

I like the tourist places.

I like its landscapes, its museums of the great cultures that it had, Cuzco (Machu Picchu).

I like it`s tourist and recreation sites.

I like its people, their way of treating others.

I like the landscapes, the food, and the people.

It has places for recreation, tourist sites, and good food.

What I like about my country is that Peru is the only country that has such a diversity of cultures, beautiful places, etc.

That it has a variety of tourist attractions.

I like its mysteries.

I like the people.

I like our food.

Well, about my country, I like the beaches (Mancora), its museums (like the Lord of Sipàn), the ruins of Machu Picchu (Cusco), and all that is related to the Incan culture.

I like Machu Picchu since it is a wonder that is in our country.

I like its people, its recreation centers, everything there is here.

Almost nothing

I like that Peruvians are hardworkers.

I like the tourist sites that exist.

Machu Picchu and Cuzco.

What I like about this country is Machu Picchu.

What I like are its tourist sites, beautiful places to visit, and the food.

I like the food and dancing.

I like the climate and Peruvian food.

The great riches that we have, like for example, Machu Picchu, and the food is delicious.



What changes would you like to see in Peru?

In truth, a lot more work, opportunities, and that poverty stops.

I would like that the governors change so that the people might be able to change.

That it would be cleaner and that we would take better care of our riches.

I would like there to be no corruption, violence, etc.

I wish that the politics were more clean, just, and not corrupt.

I would like to change the social and economic aspects, and the politics of the whole government

I would like it if there were no more crime and delinquency.

I wish that there were no gangs.

I would like there to be more order in Peru so that there could be more development and progress and also that there wouldn`t be so much gang activity.

I would like to see all the change that is possible.

I would like there to be no deliquency or crime, and that the people here would change.

I would change the pollution and the bad leaders of the state (presidents).

I don`t like the crime and delinquency, the pollution.

I would to see the following changes: no crime or delinquency, no gangs, no poverty, etc.

I would like it to be more united, respectful, and that people would say no to injustice and corruption.

I would like to see my country more united and that there wouldn`t be people who are indifferent to the needs of others.

I would like the politics to change

I wish it would be more calm and with a lot of peace.

I would like there to be more work opportunities that jobs would pay well.

I would like there to be no gangs, for it to be cleaner so that it could develop more.

What I would like to see changed is that foreigners aren`t taken advantage of and that they treat them in a friendly way.

I would make changes in the form of government, in that they would do a little more of what we as citizens do in order that Peru could grow more.

Perhaps if there were social changes or improvements in politics.

I would like that there would be nobody in gangs and that that everyone would know how to read.

I would like to see more opportunity for Peruvians and foreigners to visit the tourist sites

I would like there to be no poverty.

I would like to change the president.

The changes that should happen are that there should be more organizations that take care of the natural environment.

more work and help for the most needy

I would like to see changes in the conduct of our citizens, that they would have more love for their country an take care of and value it, not make it dirtier.

I would like to see less poverty and environmental pollution.

1 comment:

Mom said...

Hola Todd,
Once again, this is such an informative exercise for us to learn how the youth feel about their country. I truly appreciate you taking time to share this. I have to make an oral report for my class, teaching them about something in hispanic-speaking countries, and I'm pondering whether I could share your students' statements. That would be fun! I'm pretty sure, at least, that I am going to share something that I learned from your volunteer work there or that I observed myself.
Love,
Mom