Monday, April 7, 2008

Chimbote Re-entry

Some short reflections on life back in Chimbote, just over six months since my arrival here (September 25).

- The experience of being robbed and hit just before leaving definitely affects my mind set when I am out an about. I don`t take my backpack unless absolutely necessary to carry things a short distance, and I am much more suspicious and watchful of the people around me. Friends from the parish have expressed much concern and apologies (feeling responsible for the actions of their compatriots) and have given me numerous pointers for trying to prevent a re-ocurrence. Lenin even took me on a walk around town, identifying places where `chorros` often congregate and which streets/hours are best to avoid. In general, I just feel a bit more nervous and vulnerable than before, which -- if I can cover up my nervousness -- are actually assets in helping me take more precautions. Still, I find myself appreciating the relative safety of most areas of the United States. Nicole, Emily and I have spoken about the difference in the culture here, a seeming lack of conscience -- generalizing of course. Of course the economic struggle of many here is a factor in this, as even in the US crime rates general rise in areas of increased poverty and desperation. Still, there may be other factors that are more difficult to pinpoint that are behind the often encountered mindset that cheating, stealing, or being dishonest is OK as long as it doesn`t harm people you know and you don`t get caught. A lack of consequences surely contributes as well, as the police system is only periodically effective at best, hampered by lack of resources and by reluctance of anyone to get involved by testifying (or helping out) in the case of a robbery for fear of retaliation against their family. For example, during my absence the hospice complex was robbed at gunpoint. An employee called the police from the bathroom, and they had to come in a taxi, eventually apprehending three of the five perpetrators (who were also in a taxi). Now, though, none of the hospice workers who were present are willing to give testimony, so no charges have been made and those who were caught will likely be released. To be sure, the overall effectiveness of our police system in the United States, despite its weaknesses in some areas, helps reinforce a social norm of not stealing. We also think that family training has an even greater role in affecting long term behavior, and I know that such moral training does happen here as well but maybe not as effectively, weakened by factors such as economic hardship. In short, the situation is indeed complex and I don`t have any quick answers about how to improve it. I do feel, though, that it is likely I will be robbed again before I leave, such is the reality of life here. Nearly all the friends I have here have their own stories of being robbed or assaulted, and my chances are only increased by being white and foreign, both associated with having money. I don`t write this to scare my family, those who care for me, or anyone hoping to visit or live here -- but instead to hopefully give a clearer picture of the realities. People here live with more fear and less security than we do (for the most part) in the US, and in assimilating into a culture that has much positive to offer me, I also accept this negative aspect which hopefully helps me to grow in solidarity with my neighbors here.

- A couple more bits of news, much more positive. Yesterday we had our first meeting/practice with boys and girls from the parish who want to be a part of a parish basketball team. Though basketball takes a distant second to the sports of soccer (for boys) and volleyball (for girls), there is still some interest. I am assisting riends here Elmer and Juan Carlos in coordinating and offering this opportunity to both teach basic skills and strategy and to eventually, we hope, form teams that can play games against other parishes and schools in the city. We had six girls and three boys come yesterday, and I had fun leading the girls in dribbling, passing, and lay-up drills. It is also great practice with Spanish basketball vocabulary.

- Secondly, a friend Lucciani came to me today with a proposal to make efforts to change the culture of garbage here, both by initiating a recycling program and by visiting schools to present information on how we can better care for our local environment. Both aspects would be undertaken by youth and young adults of the parish, and though we are just beginning the conversation, there is potencial for a meaningful project.

- Finally, I emerged hopeful from a meeting of our youth leadership group yesterday, now self-named JUMIFRA, Juventùd Misionera Francsicana (Fransiscan Missionary Youth). We are choosing officers from among the members, and have a number of hopes and ideas for the next steps. I was a bit sleepy for the meeting, however, after accepting an invitation of friends from my choir to go dancing at a local discoteca on Saturday night. We left at about 11:45 and I didn`t get back to the house until about 4:00 am (discotecas stay open until about 7:00 am on the weekends). I enjoyed having the experience, but feel a bit old to stay out so late. A nap Sunday afternoon and a good nine hours sleep last night have me back on the road to feeling rested again :).

Thanks for your attention, and God bless.

1 comment:

Michi said...

Hi again!

It is so great to hear about the different programs that you are involved with and new ones as well! You are laying great foundation there that will bring so much more strength to their program for the youth. It is also exciting to hear about the clean up activities that you will be working on (your mom mentioned to me her concern about this). I would love to have our Care for Creation committee do that kind of work! Please keep us posted on how that is all going.

As I've expressed, I am very worried about your safety. Although, that comes with your work that is bringing more positive experiences and far outweighs the challenges of living in Chimbote. I just pray that you, Emily, and Nicole stay as safe as possible. You are so right about the whole situation being complex. As much as most of us want to believe that there must be a way to make things safer (I personally wish it would be safer for you), we also do not have the historical and cultural background to fully comprehend the situation. All I can offer are my prayers and the promise that if they ever do any more harm to you I will be there in a minute! OK, as fast as I can anyway.

Please, please, please take care of yourself.

Love,
Michi