Saturday, November 10, 2007

Mejor de Salud y Curso de Inglès

Good afternoon! Later in the day after my last post, I wondered if I had done too much complaining, but I hope to keep the tone here informal and a fairly acurate picture of how I am feeling. Thanks for the encouragement from those who responded, and I`m happy to report that this week I am (finally) feeling better, which amazingly has an impact as well on my overall mood and outlook.

A new undertaking this week for Nicole,Emily and I was the beginning of our English classes in the parish, which will continue each week on Monday and Thursday evenings. We had 11 and 16 students attend, and more or less we have begun well. We are on the lookout for an ESL course teacher´s edition that we might be able to have sent through the Tardio´s at Christmas, but until then we are covering some of the basics on our own with a little help from some online ideas and input from our students as to what they would like to learn. The ages of our students range from 14 to about 30, with a variety of English experience and proficiency, though all seem eager to learn. Because several requested help with pronunciation, we spent some time preparing a summary of how Spanish vowel sounds can be spelled in English as well as compiling example words for sounds that don`t exist in Spanish. Doing so made us realize how unpredictable English actually is and how many exceptions there are to the rules that do exist. Any ideas would be welcome -- and we are posting summaries of our classes online for our students at www.cursodeinlgespsfda.blogspot.com in case you are curious. Because Nicole and Emily have a fairly full work schedule, I am taking on the majority of the preparation work and generally take the lead during the class when explanations in Spanish are needed.

An exciting event this Wednesday was another trip to the soccer stadium, this time packed full for `El Clàsico` between two of the most popular teams of the Peruvian national league. The game was quite exciting, the fans were loud (reminded me of college football level) and generally an exciting atmosphere. Interesting too that we ended up walking home more than 45 minutes since most don`t have cars and all the taxis are overloaded when the game ends. At least here, though, the stadium-design doesn`t have to take parking lot space into account. Hopefully next week I`ll post some photos from the event.

I began physical therapy this week for my elbow, now completely without cast or sling. Since it was bent at 90 degrees for four weeks, I am still not able to fully extend my arm nor flex it all the way. The therapy sessions are a bit painful in that she works to stretch the contracted muscles and tendons, but afterward I can feel the increased mobility. This week also included the small victories of drinking and shampooing my hair with my left hand :). I have a good ways to go before I am back to normal (or at least as normal as I was before), but little by little I see progress.

This coming weekend I will assist with the Confirmation retreat Saturday-Sunday at a place called Pariacoto, a couple hours away east into the mountains -- supposedly quite pretty there. Efforts to gather leaders of the eight parish neighborhoods were unsuccessful last week, but I did meet with leaders of one neighborhood regarding efforts to invite more of their youth to active participation. My vision at this point is to just begin with visits to homes, among other things looking to identify potencial youth leaders in each neighborhood. In January, there is a national youth ministry training course in Lima for a week or so which I hope to attend and bring interested youth leaders with me. If anyone might be interested in sponsoring the expenses for one of our young people here to attend, please let me know. I don`t yet have information about cost, but my guess is that it will be quite reasonable by US standards though out of reach for some youth and families here. In addition, we still have some plans for Advent -- outing, mini-retreat evenings, a community service project,a Christmas play and having youth help decorate the church. Similar to some parishes in the US, the members of the youth counsel felt that they were not asked for help with many parish events and were excited about the idea of being able to contribute ideas and time to helping decorate for Advent and Christmas.

Tonight we have been invited to a birthday party of one of the choir members whom we know, which should be a fun (and late) evening. I will go after my 8:00 meeting to help plan the upcoming Confirmation retreat (I can`t imagine calling a similar meeting at 8:00 pm on Saturday in the IS :)). I wish you a blessed week, and thanks for checking in!

5 comments:

Michi said...

Dear Todd,

Your week seems to have been so full! I am very happy to read that 1) you are in better spirits, 2) you're going through therapy for your elbow, and 3) that you are getting into the swing of work and other fun activities.

I do appreciate your honesty as to expressing what you're experiencing in Peru. Just as with life in the US, not everything will be happy and that's just how life is. To live life to the fullest we praise the Lord for the joys and the sorrows. I thank you for your honesty to yourself and admire you for recognizing these. Of course, it makes me happy to see you happy.

I look forward to getting tips from you as to what you're teaching your class so that I can use it for my class as well. I will also share with you what we are doing. It is so much fun and I love being with the ladies that I teach English to. They help me with my Spanish as well. It's funny to see their smiles when they learn all the different vowel pronounciations!

I will be waiting for your updates!

Love always,
Michi

Anonymous said...

You can do it, Todd. You know He's always with you especially in trying times. You're doing a great job!

Maita

Anonymous said...

Todd,

Great to hear how you are doing in Peru. What an adventure in allowing God's will to take hold of your life! May His blessings be with you constantly.

Enjoyed all your postings and comments. Learned much from them. What a challenge!

As a note just want to let you know about the $200 dollar laptop program for children. http://www.laptop.org
Not sure this will be of interest to you but knowledge of this program might be valuable to someone.

To give 100 or more laptops and direct them to a location you designate, send email to givemany at laptop.org

givemany@laptop.org

Give 100+

$200 per laptop

• Donor designates where 60% of laptops are sent;
• OLPC sends 40% of the laptops to children in a country of our designation.
Give 1000+

Todd, will keep you and your efforts in my prayers.

Sincerely, John Fradet

Jaclyn said...

I'm glad to hear you are in better health and spirits -trust in the big guy and he'll take great care of you!!

I'm sure you are a great english teacher -you have the patience -especially when people have trouble reading in Spanish :)

Hey definitely let me know about sponsoring somebody to attend the youth minisitry training in Lima -I'd love to help out!!

Best of luck with the Confirmation prep and English classes!!

You are in my prayers always. I hope you aren't too bummed out for missing out on the holidays with your family.

Que Dios te Bendiga,
Jaclyn

Mom said...

Hi Todd,
We are so happy and relieved that you are feeling better. Your grandma Bobo always said that one's health is the best gift. No, you were not complaining; we want to know honestly what you are going through. And a dislocated elbow plus a bad flu is a very tough way to start. We are please to notice that your humor has survived:) Please be religious about your physical therapy on your arm--it's hard not to be with you to check that arm and to help out. We are very concerned that it heal back to normal movement--hate to have your basketball game hurt:)

Your clases de ingles sound very interesting; I checked out your lesson plans and learned a little Spanish thereby.

Please let us know the cost of helping a student go to the leadership course in Peru and how we would get money to you.

God love and keep you.
Love you,
Mom and Dad