Wednesday, October 10, 2007

An unexpected adventure

This entry may be a bit shorter an lacking in capitalization, and that is because I am typing with only my right hand due to taking a fall while playing basketball with new friends here this past sunday. We all immediately knew that I I had dislocated my elbow, and the next few hours were spent getting the bones back in the right place, after the basketball group took me to a huesero and then Sr, juanita and Emily took me to the emergency room of a private clinic. The link to my photos at right has a couple pictures of my injury and the result -- I`m in a cast and sling for three weeks. I mostly am free of pain now that its back in place, but have to have help wih things like putting in my contacts and tying my shoes each morning.
Ww are gradually meeting some people here who could become friends over time -- last night we had cake and drinks to celebrate the birthday of one of the friars here, Fr. Carlos. The IW superior in Peru, Sr. Pilar, parishioners Cenaudeand Milagros,brother Tino and the pastor, Fr. Stanislaus. It was good fun. We are helping Fernando from church with english tonight (and he us with our spanish) this evening, and Elmer has invited us to watch a soccer match this weekend. T0day i have a checkup on my elbow and tomorrow afternoon I meet with Fr. Carlos to get started officially with youth ministry involvement. I am doing my best to cook one-handed for nicole and emily this week, as they are now working full time at the hospice. Though this injury was unexpected, I am in good spirits and am adapting. The hospital experience was really interesting (I went under general anesthesia), and everyone here has done their best to take good care of me - from the guys playing basketball whom i had just met to Sr. Juanita and Nicole and Emily. it was an interesting weekend overall at our house, as nicole had a nasty stomach bug friday evening through Sunday.

God bless, and have a great weekend!

4 comments:

Michi said...

Thank you for the update even if you have to type with just one hand! I really wish I could easily go to you and help you. It's frustrating not being there with you during this time. My being left-handed could have easily compensated for your left arm! I'm happy to hear, though, that you are in good spirits. My thoughts and prayers are always with you.

Love you,
Michi

Mom said...

It is such a relief to receive your update, to see visually that your bone is back in place, to see that you are in good spirits, and to see that so many good people have come to your aid. You know that your whole family, plus some, would be on the phone to you, if your phone were working. Let us know what the doctor said when he checked your arm today. Love and hugs, Mom (and Dad)

Jaclyn said...

¡Que lastima! I am glad it was just dislocated and not broken. I am thankful God has blessed you with caring people while you are away from family and loved ones. ¡Cuidarte! :)

Que Dios te Bendiga,
Jaclyn

Unknown said...

Hey Todd,

Great x-rays! That's the sort of thing that I'd love to have to show to people (but without having to go through the pain to get them).

Glad to hear you are recovering well -- especially since it sounds like you have a height advantage to help your basketball skills. Be a shame to have to give up basketball now.

I'd like to report that the Irish have turned their season around and are now playing winning football, but I would be lying -- they're 1-6, their only win being the game vs. UCLA. I'll take credit for that victory since my father, brother, and I were there screaming ourselves hoarse.

Take care and keep blogging,

Sean