Friday, September 21, 2007

Casi nos vamos...

Good morning to you -- and thanks for checking back! Since my last post, our orientation has continued at a good clip. We've focused heavily on cultural awareness and went away to a retreat center north of Austin for a restful weekend that was guided by Sr. Carmelita from Mexico City. Other topics of presentations have included the religious culture of Latin America, Christology, anthropology and family systems, living as a public figure and representative of the Incarnate Word Sisters, staying healthy in mission, scriptural study, and awareness of our own cultural tendencies. Particularly helpful this week was an analysis of Low Contextual and High Contextual cultures and a project for us missionaries to identify strengths that make our US culture unique.

Today we have free to accomplish tasks (such as packing) and errands before a final set of meetings tomorrow and our flight to Peru on Sunday. We leave 5:45 am from San Antonio and arrive in Lima, Peru at 9 pm (eastern time zone, I believe) by way of Houston and Miami. I feel mostly excited with dash of nervousness -- something I've wanted to do for a few years is finally happening. These past three and a half weeks have felt a little like a parallel universe -- an in-between time in which the rest of the world continues to go to school, work, etc. I do feel more prepared to embark on the journey than when I arrived, but I also feel ready to jump in, to stop talking about it and actually see what life will be like in Peru. Upon our arrival in Peru, however, we won't go directly to Chimbote but will instead stay for "a few days" in Lima with the IW sisters there while we take care of some visa paperwork.

Finally, you may have noticed the new link at the upper right where you will be directed to a collection of my photos posted on Shutterfly. No password is needed to view the photos. I have also included a link to a map of Peru.

Have a blessed day, and I'll write you next from south of the equator!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bon voyage, Todd! Have also been meaning to thank you for sharing the quote re trying to find Christ in others and making it easy for others to see Christ in you. I've been "keeping it in my pocket" when I need a bit of guidance.
Can't wait to read more on your adventure after you land in Peru.
- Katrina

Michi said...

I am so excited for you! It's hard to believe that the time has finally come for you to do what you've been dreaming of doing, to do what you know you've been called to do. You're truly amazing! Like I always tell you... I'm very proud of you for living out this dream.

The pictures are great, too! I especially love the view from your parent's deck. It's also nice to get a peek into your preparation life. I will miss admiring the clouds and sunsets with you, but look forward to more when you get back!

Love,
Michi

Michi said...

P.S. I can't wait to visit you in Peru!

Kim said...

I found this blog by googling " 'Todd Schmidt' Peru." You're the second link! You've been in our thoughts and it was great to read these updates. ¡Así que ya te vas! What an amazing adventure, for sure.

You'll be in our prayers. Anxious to hear more! Buen viaje, Ramón.

abrazos,
Kim y Esteban

Jaclyn said...

Que Dios te Bendiga!!!

I look forward to keeping up with your postings!!

Hasta luego Ramon :)